There is a lot that homeowners should know in case of potential water damage. Properties can undergo water damage from a variety of reasons, including leaking pipes, damaged sewage lines, natural disasters, and more.
If you are currently dealing with water damage in your home, here are some things to keep in mind.
- Make sure to unplug electronics. It is critical to make sure all electronics are disconnected in the case of water damage, in order to avoid potential electrical shocks, or even explosions, from occurring in your home.
- Check for mold. When dealing with water damage, you want to inspect the mold immediately. Make sure to assess the situation so that you know exactly what you’re dealing with. If there is a small amount of mold, you can cut out the affected area and dispose of it. However, if there is a more serious mold infestation, make sure to turn off the air in your home for the time being and contact a mold specialist to have them take care of the issue.
- Dry Out All Water. Make sure to dry out all affected areas in order to eliminate existing moisture. Doing so will help lessen the water damage.
- Remove Any Damaged Materials. Remove any materials that have been affected by the water damage- this includes insulation, carpet, etc. Start with the floor and ceiling first, then assess the remainder of the damage.
- Disinfect the Area. Sanitizing the area is a critical step in dealing with water damage. This will help avoid any health problems for those living in your home. Spray and clean with bleach so that mold does not continue to grow in the affected areas.
If you’re dealing with water damage or mold in your home, contact us for a free consultation. Our attorneys and investigators are ready to provide you with a qualified inspection and assist you with every step of the often complex claims process. We’re here to help!