The first step in preventing fire in your home or business is by educating yourself and your family members on the common causes of fires. Knowing the causes and risks will allow you to ensure that proper precautions are in place to prevent fire and smoke damage in your home or business. Below we have listed the most common causes of a house fire in the United States.
- Home Heating Fires. According to the National Fire Protection Association (NFPA), home heating is the leading cause of fires in the United States. The majority of home heating fires involved stationary or portable space heaters, and the leading factor contributing to these fires was a failure to properly clean the equipment.
- Cooking Fires. The leading cause of home cooking fires and casualties is leaving cooking unattended. Home cooking fires tend to peak at the end of the year during the holidays, such as Thanksgiving and Christmas. Additionally, if your kitchen is equipped with an electric range, you are at higher risk of fire than homes equipped with gas ranges.
- Electrical Fires or Malfunctions. NFPA’s research from 2012-2016 showed that fires caused by malfunctioning or failed electrical equipment accounted for the highest share of civilian deaths and direct property damage.
- Other common causes of home fires and smoke damage:
o Candle fires
o Christmas tree fires
o Firework fires
o Home grill fires
o Fires caused by smoking
o Intentional fires
o Children playing with fire
o Combustion of upholstered furniture
o Fires caused by laundry machines
o Fires caused by lightning strikes
NFPA explains that the most common causes of fires in commercial buildings are cooking equipment, heating equipment, electrical and lighting equipment, smoking and intentional fire setting. It is also recommended to keep workspaces clear of clutter in commercial or business settings to avoid the risk or fire.
Fire Damage & Associated Damage
Managing the aftermath of a home or business fire can be stressful. Do you know the right questions to ask your insurance company? Are you aware of the true costs caused by the damage? Partner with the Insurance Litigation Group, and we will ensure every aspect of your fire damage claim is handled correctly. With our expert team of professionals by your side, you can rest assured that your home or business will be transformed back to its pre-damage state.
Contact us today to speak with a Florida property insurance claim attorney and set up a free consultation and property inspection. We are prepared to answer all your fire and smoke damage questions, including the subjects below:
- Being fairly compensated for your fire and smoke damage.
- The proper protocols for securing your property
- Getting your property cleaned up, repaired and rebuilt and taking the necessary steps to make your home or business safe to occupy again
Our practice is statewide, and we have offices in Miami, Fort Pierce, Pensacola, Orlando, and Miramar Beach, Florida. Call ILG for sound advice and immediate assistance in your Florida Insurance Disputes.